Adventures in a tuk tuk podcast
THE PINK TUK TUK’S OF SRI LANKA
A world in which every child grows up in a safe, nurturing family and has a positive future.
About The Future is Pink
In 2017 we rolled out our ground breaking pilot programme with the first three single parent mums training to be tuk tuk drivers. This unique concept of women driving for women in highly visible pink tuk tuks as a taxi service is breaking gender and cultural barriers.
The benefits are twofold. Not only can mums generate a sustainable income for their families, but also provide personal safety for women and girls travelling to work and school. Our women drivers are the first in the Southern Province and our aim is to dramatically increase this number over the next few years.
How do women and children benefit?
- Families are lifted out of poverty through the generation of a reliable source of income for their single parent mums.
- Children are kept together with their mums rather than being torn apart by poverty.
- Children have positive female role models
- Children can travel to school safely
- Safe journeys for Women and girls with no risk of sexual harassment and abuse
- Gender equality is promoted
- Mums have more time to work as daughters do not need to be chaperoned to school.